I have been tinkering with an application on and off for a few months. The plan was to submit to openNTF at some stage.
I am spending maybe 30 minutes max every couple of weeks. Each time I finished changing it for the day I would create a new copy of the database. That way if I make a mess I can revert back to previous version (safety vs Eclipse Local History).
I wasn’t using source control, because it was only one user and what could possibly go wrong? right??!!
So recent sit down with the code, I had CSS misbehaving and it was pushing my repeat control all over the place. After some annoyance I finally got that working. Checking it in the client while it worked I found one of the action buttons now was broken. I was pretty sure I didn’t touch the button.
I go back to the previous release and see there is a whole load of code differences. I paste them back in. I noticed however the code in the backup appears to be out of sync in what I did the last time.
Checking back further I realized that I was working from the backup of an earlier day and had done so a few times. -_-”
So now my code is working perfectly, just in multiple different databases.
On the plus side it looks like ExtLib will do nearly everything I had coded anyway, making life easier to create my Frankensteins monster of a new database. Only this time I will be using a source control.